MTHATHA, EASTERNCAPE, SOUTH AFRICA
BRIEF HISTORY OF ST.JOHN'S COLLEGE
The founder of St. John's College was Bishop Henry Callaway, first Bishop of the Diocese of St. John's. It was named after a Rev. J. O. Oxland, a colleague of Bishop Callaway. The more formal beginning of this school took place on 25 June 1879, with a stone-laying ceremony. At this stage it was referred to as "St. John's Theological College". The elementary education given was expected to lead on to training as a teacher, and eventually lead to a qualification as a catechist, deacon or priest. W. M. Cameron became the first person to be designated "Warden" of St. John's College. The Theological College was separated from St. John's and was renamed St. Bede's College.
The most remarkable of the Wardens of St. John's was Rev. A. A. Hoadley, who ruled with an iron rod and was responsible for upgrading the College. The college first offered JC, NPL, and NPH courses and later offered a Matric course. He was succeeded by Rev. J. W. Wilson whose most notable achievement was to haul the College out of debt and set it on a sound financial footing. He was succeeded by Rev. John Shand, and under his authority St. John's was regarded as the prestigious school in the whole of Transkei.
Webpage updated on January 2010
Webpage designed and maintained by G.George