|Consult your pharmacist if taking concurrent medications containing paracetamol.|
|Information for the doctor|
Initial symptoms in the first 24 hours are nausea, vomiting, anorexia, and abdominal pain and these may persist for a week or more. Liver injury may become apparent from 12 to 48 hours after ingestion and may manifest by metabolic acidosis, abnormalities of glucose metabolism, elevation of serum transaminase and lactic dehydrogenase activity, increased serum bilirubin concentration and prolongation of prothrombin time. The liver damage may progress to encephalopathy, coma and death. Cerebral oedema, cardiac arrythmias and nonspecific myocardial depression have also occurred.
Acute renal failure with acute tubular necrosis may develop even in the absence of severe liver damage.
Prompt treatment is essential. Any patient who has ingested about 7,5 g of paracetamol in the preceding 4 hours should undergo gastric lavage. Specific therapy with an antidote such as acetylcysteine or methionine may be necessary. If decided upon, acetylcysteine should be administered intravenously as soon as possible.
Acetylcysteine is effective if administered within 8 hours of overdosage.
Intravenously: An initial dose of 150 mg/kg in 200 mL glucose injection, given intravenously over 15 minutes, followed by an intravenous infusion of 50 mg/kg in 500 mL of glucose injection over the next 4 hours, and then 100 mg/kg in 1000 mL over the next 16 hours. The volume of intravenous fluids should be modified for children.
Orally: 140 mg/kg as a 5% solution initially, followed by a 70 mg/kg solution every 4 hours for 17 doses.
Diphenhydramine hydrochloride toxicity should be treated as would an antihistamine or anticholinergic overdose and is likely to be present within a few hours after acute ingestion.
Treatment is supportive and related to symptoms.