||These guidelines are presented with the
reaction that ethics cannot be legislated, and that most individuals desire and intend to
do what is right.
The purpose of these guidelines, therefore, is to set forth
principles of practice the African Basenji Club would have its members adhere to.
The principles set forth are guidelines, not rules or laws, therefore they carry no
sanctions other than those dictates of one's individual conscience as one strives to
promote and protect the Basenji breed.
- I will maintain high standards in the care of my dogs.
- I will help educate the public in the standard and care of the Basenji.
- I understand that indiscriminate breeding may lead to over-population and contribute to
the deterioration of the breed.
- Before breeding a litter, 1 will give consideration to health, type and temperament.
Aggressive dogs are not acceptable as pets or for breeding stock.
- I will not breed a litter unless 1 have the time and facilities to devote proper care
and attention to the rearing of the puppies and the well-being of the dam.
- I will not provide stud services unless 1 am satisfied that the owner of the dam has the
time and facilities to devote proper care and attention to the rearing of the puppies and
the well-being of the dam.
- SALE OF PUPPIES / DOGS.
- I will screen all prospective buyers to ensure that the dogs will go to a good home, and
advise on the characteristics of the Basenji.
- I will supply purchasers with a diet sheet, pedigree, inoculation records and
information on training and care at the time of sale.
- (c) I will not sell dogs to pet shops, laboratories or wholesale dog dealers. Nor will I
sell any dogs to people known to deal with any of the above.
- I will not sell puppies without true and full representation, nor willfully conceal
known genetic faults, nor intentionally use misleading or untruthful statements in selling
- I will assist the purchaser in every reasonable way for the life of the dog.