This page is dedicated to all those who live to fly,
are too poor to afford it and
too proud to beg.
 

KOBUS DE WET'S VP-1
Page 4
There is work to be done

What looked like a walk in the park, is more like hard work.

As could be seen from the pictures on the first page with the wings lying on the ground, the covering was in a poor state. Well that has been rectified. First I removed all the old "Seconite" to be able to inspect the condition of the construction as well as the workmanship. Well the woodwork was in a very good condition. The workmanship ( The original builder died a few years ago ) is of a very high standard. Although the wood was painted with a good quality grey paint, the places where I removed the paint to check for cracks were in a perfect condition.I then sanded down all the areas where I had to use "Seconite" glue for the covering.

mplane1.jpg (39727 bytes) mplane2.jpg (38918 bytes) mplane4.jpg (44669 bytes)
After the old covering cma off It was sanding...... and more sanding.

After all the sanding, I called in the help of my good friend Jean Crouws, who is busy rebuilding a Bushbaby (Local version of the Kitfox). As my experiance of fabric covering dates back to the good old days of good quality linen (Tigermoths) and tautening dope.

cover1.jpg (43441 bytes) cover4.jpg (44059 bytes) cover6.jpg (22419 bytes)
Glue onto the bare wood Done Glue over fabric

 

cover11.jpg (35146 bytes) cover10.jpg (32542 bytes) cover16iron.jpg (42033 bytes)
Rub the glue into the fabric One side is done Ma's best iron for tautening

 

cover12nitrate.jpg (27585 bytes) cover13nitrate.jpg (25170 bytes) cover17complete.jpg (36617 bytes)
Brush on Nitrate dope very carefully Done, 3 sides to go and then the rest

 

 

KR-2
Page 1
KR-2
Page 2
KR-2
Page 3
KR-2
Page 4
My
Airforce
Career
VP-1
Page 1
VP-1
Page 2
VP-1
Page 3
VP-1
Page 4
VP-1
Page 5

 

House.jpg (22229 bytes)

jfdewet@intekom.co.za

Last update 02 April 2000